Advice & Representation

diverse group of students standing together

Expand all

Tenant Rights

Examples: Repairs, security deposits, evictions, lease reviews

Student Legal Service Tenant Resources

Criminal Cases

Examples: Misdemeanors, traffic tickets, expungements


Examples: family based green card applications, diversity visa program processing, fiance visas, VAWA self-petitions, crime victim applications, naturalization services, foreign residency waivers, MAVNI, and change of status applications


Examples: Automobile purchases and repairs, credit problems, contracts, insurance coverage, defective goods and services, students loans (non U of M), property loss


Examples: Contract review

Wills, Health Care Directives, and Power of Attorney

SLS helps draft the legal documents listed above, most commonly the Power of Attorney form for students studying abroad. 


Name Change and Gender Change

SLS will provide guidance and e-filing of all forms necessary for name changes and gender changes. 


SLS offers only consultation and/or referrals in other legal matters, including, but not limited to, conflict of interest, personal injury, out of seven county metro area, business law, and family law.


Even if the case involves a legal matter listed above, SLS cannot provide service in the following situations:

  • Claims against or adverse to the University of Minnesota
  • Cases involving one eligible student with a claim that is adverse to or potentially in conflict with another U of M student (see Handbook, page 9)
  • Claims against or adverse to the University of Minnesota regents, employees, or agents if the claim arises out of the performance of duties of office or employment at the University of Minnesota
  • Cases challenging the policies or practices of the University of Minnesota
  • Matters that are prohibited by the ethical standards and regulations governing USLS attorneys
  • Matters customarily handles as contingent fee cases (e.g. personal injury)

See complete list of exclusions in our Policy Handbook