Notary Services

west bank skyway

NOTICE: Student Legal Service offers its notary services by appointment only. 

Student Legal Service (SLS) will provide notary services by appointment only. Although SLS previously provided notary services on a walk-in basis, we now provide notary services on an appointment basis only.

Additionally, our notary services are only available to University of Minnesota students, faculty, and staff. Accordingly, please bring your staff or student ID to your notary appointment.  

Schedule an Appointment

To schedule an appointment for notary services, please visit our Notary Public page on our website: NOTE: These appointments are not for legal services. The appointment is to meet with a notary public, not an SLS attorney. 

Notary Hours

During winter break, Student Legal Service will adjust its in-person office hours. Unless otherwise indicated, notary appointments will be available by appointment during in-person office hours. To schedule an appointment, please visit

*Please note that our office will not take notary appointments during University holidays*

Common Notarial Acts and What to Expect

Expand all

Acknowledgements, Signature Witnessings, and Jurats

For documents that require notarization, the notary will first verify your identity and determine that you are willfully signing the document. You will sign the document in front of the notary and he/she will complete the notary certificate.

Examples: Power of Attorney forms, affidavits, absentee ballots, etc.

Copy Certifications

For certifying or attesting documents, the notary will first verify your identity and determine that you are the custodian (owner) of the presented documents. If you are able, please make a photocopy of the document and bring the original. You must bring in the original document so the notary can determine whether the photocopy is an accurate reproduction. If you are unable to make the copy, the notary will make copies of the original documents.

Our notary cannot certify copies of vital records. For example, birth certificate, death certificate, marriage certificate, social security card, etc. Instead, please contact the Minnesota Department of Health to obtain a copy of a birth or death certificate. For foreign birth certificates, contact the consulate of the country of origin. To obtain a copy of a marriage certificate contact the county office where the marriage took place.

Examples: Passports, Driver’s Licenses, I-20s, etc.

What to Bring

  • Government Issued Identification or Photo ID (driver’s license, passport, etc.)
  • Unsigned Documents to be notarized
  • Your University of Minnesota ID (your U-Card)
  • Original Document(s) and, if possible, copies of the document(s) you want certified (if you are requesting certified copies)

Other Information

Minnesota Notaries that are not attorneys cannot provide legal advice or assist with completing legal forms. There are several Minnesota Statutes that affect notarial acts, including Chapters 357, 358, 359, and 609. For more information about Minnesota Notaries, visit the Minnesota Secretary of State’s website.

If you have questions about our notary services, send us an email at [email protected] or call (612) 624-1001.